Pregnancy Tests: Glucose, Blood and Urinalysis

Today's the dreaded pregnancy test day for me.

I had three tests done: the oral glucose tolerance test, blood typing, and urinalysis. V and I had to wake up early (6am) so I could have the tests done early at the nearby hospital, which was just about a minute away from home. Little Burger was kicking in my tummy, because I couldn't eat nor drink anything; I was on an 8-hour fast for the OGTT.

First thing the nurses did was take blood from my arm. According to the nurses, the veins in my arm were small. They tried to locate a vein on my right arm, and when they couldn't find one, they switched to my left arm. They had a hard time inserting the needle, despite the tight elastic tied to my arm. Gah. The nurse actually had to sort of re-insert the needle about a couple of times, just to get the blood flowing into the syringe. Ayayay.

After that, it was OGTT time. Oral Glucose Tolerance Tests are done to see how the body processes glucose, and could help determine if pregnant women are going to have gestational diabetes. Since both my parents are diabetic, the doctor advised me to have an OGTT done.

I had to drink 75mL of this glucose-orange juice drink up to the last tiny drop. I asked V to take a photo of the glucose drink so I could post it here, but I think he was still too sleepy---he took some blurry photos of me drinking the orange liquid instead. Hahah.

Blurry photo haha. It says 100mL here, but the nurses took out 25mL before giving it to me. :)


I've heard people say that the taste was awful, and that it was too sweet. While I agree that the glucose drink is, indeed, very sweet, I think the taste is just like Royal Tru Orange or Mirinda, sans the fizz. Don't get me wrong, though; while I can tolerate the taste of the glucose drink, I wouldn't want to take that test again, ever.

After that, we had to wait one hour for the first-hour blood sample to be drawn. V and I waited outside the lab, and dozed off until our phone alarms went off. Inside, a new nurse took my blood. Seeing that my left arm had already been punctured, she asked for my right arm. She, too, had trouble locating a vein on my right arm, but eventually found (the small) one, and took a small amount of blood.

We had to wait another hour for the second-hour blood sample afterwards. And, again, V and I rested our eyes until it was time. Well, V had to go home quick to take care of some things at home. So I went in the lab alone for the last blood sample. There were two patients before me, so I just waited inside the lab. Finally, the second-hour sample was drawn---from my left arm again, ouch--- and it was done.

I requested that I submit my urine sample in the afternoon, since I was on a fast this morning, and had a hard time getting enough pee. Hahah. So I'll need to drop by the hospital on my way home later.

We'll be getting the results in two days. I hope all my results are normal.

Next up: Congenital Anomaly Scan


Comments

Popular Posts