Unexpected Life Lessons

The past week had been quite tough on us.

Sunday morning, our car was hit by another car, whose driver, I suppose, didn't really know how to drive yet. She knew that she was going to hit our car already, and looked frazzled, but she didn't step on the brakes.

And then the following day, Little Beancurd caught the flu (aside from being constipated for about a week), and then V followed suit. And I, while spared from the flu, suffered from a case of anemia.

Anyway, now the toddler is recovering well, albeit still very cranky... we're giving him a couple more days until he goes back to his old jolly self.

---

I don't really know how to segue with this, but I just wanted to remember this particular moment that happened a few weeks ago.

After our weekly check-up with the herbalist, the three of us, along with my father, would go to a vegetarian restaurant to have lunch. This time, we were at a veg café that also sold packaged snacks and toys. Naturally, Little Beancurd wanted to touch and play with the displayed toys. We'd let him touch them, but with a reminder that he must be gentle with whatever he's holding, and that he had to go back to the table to eat first.

When I went to the counter to pay for our food, Beancurd ran towards me, and began to touch the gift wrappers nearby. So, of course, I reminded him not to run around, lest something breaks. Just then, the café owner said to me, "It's alright" and she proceeded to tell me that kids being "makulit" was just normal, and that they were designed that way. She said that it's how the kids strengthen their bodies, and making them "behave" by giving them screens is easier that running after them. But in the long run, it doesn't really benefit the child.

At that moment, I was humbled. I thanked the lady for her insight, because I know that I tend to forget that. I get annoyed whenever Beancurd gets a little too "malikot"---tumbling, running around, etc. but it shouldn't be.

I know this post isn't written well. I'm just blabbing here. But I'd like to remember what that nice lady said. It was a good reminder for me.



Comments

Popular Posts