Recipe: Vegan Lumpiang Shanghai

When I was younger, my mom would make lumpiang shanghai for family lunch. I loved everything about that lumpia--- the deep-fried crunchy goodness down to the ground meat, egg, and veggie mixture inside.

Nowadays, I don't get to have lumpiang shanghai because, well, I don't eat pork anymore. And in the spirit of keeping it real, I also have to say that it's because I don't really cook much. Between the husband and I, he's the one you'd see in the kitchen more, experimenting with whatever ingredient we have in the fridge.

Today, though, I made my very first batch of lumpiang shanghai. It's definitely not my mom's lumpiang shanghai recipe, because this recipe is vegan! And it actually tasted great, too.



I found the recipe online from The Superfood Grocer's site, tweaked it a bit, and mainly just eyeballed the amounts; instead of carrots (which we can't have, because they're apparently bad for those with thyroid issues), I used squash and celery. And I didn't know where to buy Super Tempeh, so I just used up a whole tub of Chinese tofu. Then I added a splash of tamari.

I admit that making this dish took me such a long time... About an hour to slice and mince and chop all the ingredients by hand, and then another 30 minutes to deep-fry them. Perhaps if V did this, it would only take him half the time. Haha.

He did make a sweet-sour dipping sauce from scratch, which complemented the lumpiang shanghai. So glad he made the sauce, because it helped cut the oiliness of the lumpia.

Anyway, here is the recipe for the lumpiang shanghai. Enjoy!


VEGAN LUMPIANG SHANGHAI

Ingredients:
• eggless lumpia wrappers (I used the square Bambi brand)
• 1/8 cup   squash, minced
• 1 pc         white onion, minced
• 3 stalks   celery, chopped
• about 15   dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in water until soft, then minced
• 200g       Chinese tofu
• 1/8 cup   cilantro, chopped
• 1/8 cup   spring onion, chopped
• 1 teaspoon salt (I used pink Himalayan salt)
• ground black pepper
• splash of Tamari

Oil for deep-frying (I used coconut oil)

Directions:
1. In a big bowl, mix all of the ingredients well.
2. Wrap the mixture using the lumpia wrapper.
3. Heat up about 1/2 cup of oil.
4. When the oil is hot enough, put in a few pieces of the lumpiang shanghai.
4. Deep-fry the lumpia until golden brown on all sides.
5. Remove from heat, and pace in a cooling rack with enough space between the lumpia pieces.

That's it! Quite simple, although next time, I'd probably prep the ingredients a day before, so it wouldn't take as long. And next time, I'd try adding in some minced red bell pepper, too.

Comments

Popular Posts