edibles: indonesian keripik tempe

I know, I know. This post isn't leading us to Paris, but... who can resist food? :)

A couple of days ago, my mom's Indonesian friend came back to Manila for her Theology class graduation. She brought with her a pack of Indonesian crispy fried tempe, as a pasalubong (arrival gift of some sort) for my mom. We had no idea what tempe was, but it looked like flatbread, crisply fried and cut into small strips.


























Since I was feeling a bit hungry, I thought I'd give it a try. And so I did. The keripik tempe is very flavorful---first, there's the taste of flour. And then, some herbs. And finally, it gives way to that fresh, citrusy flavor of lemon... or is it lime? 

At first, I found the taste a bit weird, but it kinda grew on me. In fact, I learned to like it too much, I almost finished the whole pack. Hahah. I think it would go well with cream cheese, or a yogurt kind of dip. Good thing, I didn't have those, or I probably would've finished the whole thing!


Here it is before I scarfed it down. Have you ever had tempe before?


Comments

  1. Sounds yummy, the way you described it. It's not spicy, is it? I thought you wouldn't mention it since sanay ka na haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not too spicy, actually! :) there is a little bit of heat after about 5 of it, but I think you'd be able to take it pa. There's still another pack left, if you wanna taste it! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts